Sunday, September 28, 2008

Why is Susan everywhere?

As you may or may not know my best Asain friend is Sifan (aka Susan) Liu. And no matter where I am on campus, if I'm walking behind an Asain girl or see one from afar 9 out of 10 times I'll think it's Susan and about 2 out of 10 times I'll be right. So before I left we joked about how I'd be seeing her everywhere. It hasn't entirely been that way, but I've had some close calls.

One day I got up kinda early and was looking for breakfast. I was starving, only had a few hours of sleep, and not really focusing on the job at hand. This was my first run in with a "Susan" who I then remembered was halfway around the world and couldn't possibly be in Beijing.

Later I was walking back from class when I thought I saw Yea, one of the Chinese students in the program. It was actually a good thing I couldn't remember her name at the time because it wasn't her, it wasn't her at all.

There have also been times where I'm wondering where all the Chinese people went. On Saturday I sawso many white people I didn't know what to do. I usually only here English from our group, but it was everywhere Saturday morning. I would have introduced myself to some, but, again, I was starving and on a mission.

Church is the only other place that I really feel Asain-less. It's probably because they're not allowed. The church I've been going to is for expats and people with foreign passports. There are Asains there, but they're Asain in a "I actually grew up in San Diego" sort of way.

As I'm getting used to this place I see Susan less, which is good and bad. On the plus side, when I need to see the real Susan there's always Facebook.

No comments: